- $2,800.00 plus GRE preparatory training and housing for the 8-week McNair Summer Research Program
- Supplemental Questions
McNair Scholars - Information about your letter of recommendation writerYour application will not be complete until a letter of recommendation is received (only one letter is needed). Please provide the name and contact information of your letter writer below. Once you save the McNair Scholars portion of the application, the letter writer will receive instructions about how to submit the letter of recommendation online (you can save your application without submitting it). *We strongly recommend that applicants contact potential letter writers in advance to confirm that they will be able to write a letter and complete the required form on the applicant's behalf.* Saving your application will automatically send the letter request to your letter writer, so be sure to contact them in advance. Letters from faculty are preferred. Letters from supervisors in research-focused industry or organizations are also acceptable. Applicants who have transferred to UC San Diego this quarter typically obtain a letter from a professor at their former institution.
Because letter writers will only receive information about the letter of recommendation *after* you have saved your McNair Scholars portion of the application, it is important that you do so as soon as possible so that your letter writer will have sufficient time to complete the letter by the deadline of October 24, 2019.
- a. Faculty recommender's name (first and last) and email address)
- b. Faculty recommender's department
- c. Faculty recommender's institution/university
- If you transferred to UC San Diego, when was your first quarter here (please list quarter and year)?
- McNair Prospective Faculty Mentor
- If you are admitted to the McNair Program, you will next need to secure a faculty mentor within the next several weeks after you are accepted, as your research will begin in January at the beginning of the winter quarter. It is recommended that you begin thinking about prospective faculty mentors before you are admitted. Are you considering any specific professor(s) as your McNair Program faculty mentor?
- If you are admitted to the McNair Program, you will next need to secure a faculty mentor within the next several weeks afterward, as your research will begin in January at the beginning of the winter quarter. It is recommended that you begin thinking about prospective faculty mentors before you are admitted. If you are considering any professors as possible faculty mentors for your McNair Program research, which professor(s) are you considering? Please tell us why you're considering each of these professors (one name per line, please).
- Are there any responses in your general application or in the McNair Program application that you feel need clarification? For instance, if you indicated that one of your parents received a college degree, but that person was a non-custodial parent with whom you had few interactions, you could indicate that here.
McNair Program -- Personal Statement:In 750 words or less state your purpose in applying to the McNair Scholars Program at UC San Diego. State your research interests, experience, educational goals, and career objectives. Explain how participation in the UC San Diego McNair Program will help you attain your educational and career goals. You may want to include any additional information that might aid the selection committee in evaluating your motivation, potential, and aptitude for doing research. This is also a good opportunity to explain the development of your educational and career goals, and how you overcame obstacles, achieved academic goals, and/or conditions that may have adversely impacted your academic advancement in college.