STARTneuro trains and mentors diverse transfer students as they enter neuroscience research. Our program begins with a 10-week summer research training program to ramp students up on key neuroscience techniques and facilitates lab placements with faculty mentors during the school year. STARTneuro also provides ongoing mentorship and workshops to prepare students to apply for PhD programs.
STARTneuro offers students
- A ten-week fully-funded summer research training program to teach you a wide range of fundamental techniques in neuroscience and introduce you to UC San Diego
- Access to research experience in a lab during undergraduate study at UC San Diego
- Community and mentorship with neuroscience PhD students and faculty at UC San Diego
- Preparation and guidance for applying to PhD programs
STARTneuro is open to incoming UC San Diego transfer students who are interested in pursuing neuroscience research as a career path. There is no GPA requirement and you do not need prior research experience or neuroscience coursework to be eligible. Preference will be given to students who are matriculating into UC San Diego this Fall.
STARTneuro is funded by the National Institutes of Health and shares its mission of diversifying the neuroscience workforce. We especially encourage applications from students who have been historically excluded from STEM research because of their ethnicity, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or socioeconomic status.
- Application due on 6/1/2021
- Decisions made by 6/15/2021
- Summer program runs from 7/5/2021 to 9/3/2021