STARTneuro is a National Institute of Health (NIH) funded program that trains and mentors diverse transfer students as they enter neuroscience research. Our program begins with an 8-week summer research training program to ramp students up on key neuroscience techniques and facilitates lab placements with faculty mentors during the school year. STARTneuro also provides ongoing mentorship and workshops to prepare students to apply for Ph.D. programs.
STARTneuro offers students
- An eight-week fully-funded summer research training program to teach you a wide range of fundamental techniques in neuroscience and introduce you to UC San Diego
- Access to funded research experience in a lab during undergraduate study at UC San Diego for one year, with an option to continue into a second year.
- Community and mentorship with neuroscience Ph.D. students and faculty at UC San Diego
- Preparation and guidance for applying to Ph.D. programs
- Participation in networking events and national neuroscience conferences
STARTneuro is open to incoming UC San Diego transfer students who are interested in pursuing neuroscience research as a career path. There is no GPA requirement and you do not need prior research experience or neuroscience coursework to be eligible. Preference will be given to students who are matriculating into UC San Diego this Fall 2023.
STARTneuro is funded by the National Institutes of Health and shares its mission of diversifying the neuroscience workforce.We especially encourage applications from students who have been historically excluded from STEM research because of their ethnicity, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or socioeconomic status.
- Application and letter of recommendation are due on 6/2/2023
Everyone will be asked to provide a reference’s name and email address. If reference does not upload a letter before the deadline, we may follow up with them directly.
- Decisions will be communicated to applicants by 6/23/2023
- Summer program runs from 7/17/2023 to 9/8/2023
Applicants will be asked to provide a letter of recommendation and respond to the short essay questions listed below. Click “Begin” to access the submission portal Please make sure to provide your reference’s name and email address as soon as possible. The system will automatically send a separate link to your reference with instructions on how to submit the letter of recommendation.
Extensions or exceptions to the application deadlines will not be granted under any circumstances. Applicants are encouraged to plan accordingly.
Check out our website to learn more about the program: startneuro.ucsd.edu
If you have any questions about the application or the program, please reach out to STARTneuro at email@example.com